Daniel M. MargolisManaging Partner
Handling Criminal Law & Education Law Matters
Northeast Ohio criminal defense attorney Daniel M. Margolis was born and raised in Northeast Ohio. He obtained a B.A. from Carleton College and then attended the Vermont Law School, where he focused his studies on criminal law and constitutional issues. He obtained his J.D. in 1996 and was honored by being named to the Dean's List.
While in law school, Dan was also a member of the local volunteer fire department, where he developed a keen interest in arson investigation. He is now admitted to practice law in all Ohio state courts as well as in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Background & Early Experience
After graduating from law school, Attorney Margolis became an Assistant Prosecutor for Cuyahoga County. He was immediately assigned to the Appeals Division, generally considered to be the brain trust of the prosecutor's office. Drawing upon his law school experience as a firefighter, Dan was a founding member of the county's first Arson Prosecution Unit. He also prosecuted several high-profile cases in Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court.
In 2000, Dan entered private practice, focusing on criminal defense in all counties and courts in Northern Ohio. He has defended clients — adults and juveniles — in serious cases ranging from DUI to arson and murder. Over the years, Dan has built a reputation as an aggressive attorney who zealously advocates on behalf of his clients.
Dan is considered an authority on defending sex cases and high-profile cases in juvenile court. He is a frequent speaker on legal issues and has presented numerous continuing legal education seminars for juvenile law classes at local law schools.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Education Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Vermont Law School, South Royalton, Vermont
- J.D., Dean's List
- Member of the Volunteer Fire Department
- Former Assistant Prosecutor for Cuyahoa County
Accomplishments & Awards
- Named in Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in the State of Ohio by the National Trial Lawyers Association (2012 - 2016)
- Premier 100 Designation by the American Academy of Trial Attorneys (AATA)
- Premier 100 Criminal Lawyers by the American Academy of Trial Attorneys (AATA)
- Awarded 10 Best Criminal Attorneys in Ohio by the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys (AICLA)
- Client Distinction Award by Martindale-Hubbell (2015)
- Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in the State of Ohio by the American Society of Legal Advocates (ASLA) (2013)
- Ohio, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- NORML - National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Legal Committee Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (OACDL)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Involved in the Community
- Founder of the first Arson Prosecution Unit